Monday 1 June 2020

Assembling and repainting the Jabberwock

I bought this poorly painted Jabberwock, with one of its two wings broken off, via  eBay that I plan to strip and repaint.

Jabberwodk as he looked when I started

 What will I use him for?   Possibly for Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd Edition as a Dark Elf Monster or in SAGA Age of Magic as a scourge monster for my Dark Elves.   But back to the assembly process.
 As noted in an earlier post the first step was to remove the paint before priming and re-painting using Super Green and other liquids with my sonic cleaner.

Jabberwock with broken wing
 after the paint was removed

Now that the paint has been removed the next step will be to repair the broke wing.  It was not possible to glue the broken left wing back on as the  wings were originally in on piece and needed to be glued on using a nub on the underside between the two wings that fits into a recess in the creatures back.  There was not much surface contact for the Super Glue (CA glue) to attach the broken wing back on to the other half of the wings so the repair was delicate.

Jabberwock: cleaned and wings repaired

I was thinking of pinning  the wings on as the the nub on the underside of the wings does not fit snugly in the recess on the creature's back.  But any drilling into the nub at the centre of the wings might break the repaired wings as the join is very close to the nub.  Hopefully CA jell and green stuff to fill gaps will work to create a durable enough bond to the creatures body.

I mistakenly filled off some detail on the top of the wing so replaced it with green stuff and added some of it to reinforce the glue joint.

Dry assembly views below with wings held on temporarily with blue tack.

Right side

Left Side


Front

Back

The Jabberwock might look better and be easier to paint if the wing on the creatures left side was bent upwards a little but the repair is too delicate as it broke again when I tried to bend it and  I had to re-glue the repaired area.   I thinking it might be easier to prime and paint the wings before they are glued on.

When I am finished painting the Jabberwock I  hope it will look as good as the one from the Lost and the Damned Website below.

Overview Jabberwock - from the Lost and the Damned website

Right side view Jabberwock - the Lost and the Damned website

Sorcerer and Jabberwock, note lower wing on creatures left side
- from  the Lost and the Damned Website









No comments: