Tuesday 10 January 2023

Wargame Table Height.

Having slipped on some back ice just before Christmas  my back was not up to bending over the standard 29" high folding / banquet table I use for miniature games. If yo think about it these 29 to 30 inch  tables are designed for sitting at for dinning.  A more appropriate height would be that of kitchen or bathroom counters designed for standing at which are around 34" to 35" high. The early proponents of modern day wargaming like Donald Featherstone and Terence Wise advocated higher tables between 36" and 42" high in their books.  So I tested a  37.5" high table for my first Fantastic Battles 1.2 game of 2023 (see separate post in my blog).

The experiment worked well, the table was stable, the risers did not get in the way and there was less bending.  The only minor downside was it does limit how far across the table you can reach,  a small price to pay for less back discomfort.

Table extender & riser combination used to achieve 37.5" height.

Steel table Extenders I used that added about 5"


Plastic furniture risers that added about 3.5" to the height


 

Joey overlooking the elevated table

2 comments:

江北武士浪人 said...

Does Joey now seem more tempted to explore the table...?

Lord of the Western Keep said...

He is always tempted by something new, but so far I have not caught him on the table. The fleece Cigar Box Tundra mat may also be tempting. PM me if you want to get a game in with this scenario.