Goblins and Orcs versus Undead - Oathmark
This was a 1,000 point test game of Oathmark held at my friend Sherman's place on the afternoon of August 30, 2026. This was my first time playing Oathmark and Sherman's second time. Sherman had an Orc and Goblin army that fought against my Undead army. As we were still learning the rules it ran a little slower than expected but the pace picked up as we moved along and got a grasp on the rules. Basing is on 125mm frontage trays with ranks of 5. As usual once I got stuck into the game I missed taking pictures at all the critical points in the middle of the game, thanks to Sherman for adding a few of his pictures and for hosting.
 |
| Overview of the battlefield |
The Ghouls advanced on the right but the Graved Guard (Line Breakers) were delayed due to failing a command roll.
 |
| Undead advance on the right flank |
 |
| Ghouls occupy the wooded hill |
 |
| Undead catapult & Nightmare Legion |
Goblin Warriors late for battle
 |
| Undead Skeleton Nightmare Legion |
 |
| Goblins and Trolls advance |
 |
| Trolls lead the way |
 |
| The Skull Chuka catapult was effective early on |
The Ghouls advanced off the hill to attack some Goblins and while achieving early victories they were ultimately destroyed and may have been better off staying in the woods as the Grave guard were not able to support their attack.
 |
| Ghouls advance off the hill to attack Goblin warriors |
The Level 3 Liche the undead commander gambled opting to stay put to try to use a haste spell to get a unit into a key battle, he failed his command roll and was stuck in place. This allowed a Troll to attack him. The resulting duel concluded with both the Lich and Troll being killed. The result was more devastating for the Undead who lost their commander.
 |
| Liche Commander & Troll kill each other. |
 |
| Near the end of the game |
 |
| Troll and Lich destroy each other as the finale |
The game lasted about 3 hours covering 3 or 4 tuns with a minor Goblin / Orc victory.
Conclusion
Overall I had a positive impression of the rules, the game moved at a good pace once we got a handle on the rules. Units advanced fairly quickly the command and control system worked well and I liked the way figure removal reflected units losing combat effectiveness as they took damage The role of characters seemed correct, important to units but not overwhelming. However I did find the combat system a bit non-intuitive regarding the target numbers, but hopefully after a second game it will become more familiar to me. The QR sheet did help (see bellow). I also have some reservations about the Undead army list missing important unit types like Skeleton horsemen, zombies, Bats and ghosts, but I think these units can be created. Oathmark also has an army created system designed for a campaign that looks very appealing.
I look forward to a second game.
 |
| QR Sheet |
This you tube video link bellow helps to explain how the combat system and target numbers work and will make the next game much easier.
Oathmark: Beginners Guide - Part 1: What is it and how do you play?
There were also lessons learned about building armies in Oathmark, I took a level 3 Liche that was far too expensive for a 1,000 point force as he cost around 240 points and the extra spells were not needed but better command values and more troops were needed. Next time I will select a 156 point Revenant Prince and use the 84 saved points for more troops.
 |
| Undead 1000 point Army List |
There is a new 2nd Edition Oathmark book that is scheduled to be available later this September I am curious to see and play. I am also looking at the new Midgard Mass Fantasy Battle rules. However for the moment Fantastic Battles are still my rules of choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment