Sunday 24 November 2019

SAGA Age of Magic AAR November 3, 2019

SAGA Age of Magic AAR.


I am way behind on my postings, this is the first of 3 games of SAGA Age of Magic (AoM) games I have played this month.  This one was at my local games club the Ottawa Miniatures Gamers Club (OMG) on November 3, 2019.  This was my first game of this SAGA variant.  It is a great game, much like the original SAGA (historical) and lets you use a variety of miniatures painted for other fantasy game systems (WFB, AoS, KoW etc) as the basing and army lists are very flexible.  My Undead warband, (made up of a mix of Citadel, Reaper and Grenadier figures) faced off against a Chaos warband.   My warband included my recently painted Undead catapult by Grenadier (re-released by Mirliton).


Grenadier Skeleton Catapult in action


 Plus a band of Scarecrows lead by Jumping Jack Flash!


Jumping Jack Flash leads the Mindless Levy



AAR of OMG game November 3, 2019 

 All the warbands were 8 point warbands and we played a basic scenario with the objective of breaking the enemy force.  Each side used the scared ground terrain piece option..

My Warband consisted of:


Undead Legion 1 OMG 3/11/2019:              Undead
Necromancer  / Lich foot (Warlord)             0 points
2 Hearthguard / Grave guard (8)                    2 points 8 figures
1  Skeleton Warriors with spears (8)               1 point 10 figures
1  Skeleton Warrior with bows  (8)                 1 point  10 figures
1 Skeleton Warriors (8-4 = 4 figures)             1 point (4 figures 2 figures each to above 2 units)
1  Levy Mindless – Scarecrows (20)              1 point 20 figures
1  Flying Creatures unit- 2 Giant Bats            1 point 2 figures
1  biped Creatures unit- 2 Werewolves           1 point 2 figures
1 Static War Machine, Skull Thrower catapult - 4 warriors
Total                                                                8 points

Sacred ground = Graveyard.


My opponent John had a Chaos warband that included  2 units of Minotaurs/ Beatment, 1 mounted Hearthguard, 2 or 3 units of warriors and a sorcerer.  The first few pictures below are of my warband before I packed it up to go to the club.  My lighting is a bit better than at the club so these pictures turned out better.

 
The Entire Warband with an extra scythe unit


Warriors - skeletons with spears


Warrior skeleton Archers

Warrior Scythe unit, they were not used in the game.

Unfortunately I did not have time to take as many photos as I wanted so there are some gaps in the sequence of events.

I deployed my warband with most of my infantry (warriors) on my left flak with the catapult near the centre giving it a clear line of fire and keeping it near the Graveyard (sacred ground) and the Necromancer in hopes of protecting it should the enemy get too close to it.


Initial deployment.
 The skeleton Warriors and Hearthguard clash with the chaos Warriors and Beastmen / whose resilience makes them very hard to kill.

Battle near the swamp on the Left Flank

The Mindless Scarecrows advance urged on by the Necromancer and supported by giant bats on their flank

Jumping Jack Flash leads the Scarecrows


Mindless Scarecrows advance.

 The Minotaurs (Beastmen) which are biped creatures in the game were causing a lot of damage and I was concerned they would break my left flank.

Chaos Minotaurs cause havoc.
 The Mindless lead by Jumping Jack Flash move very slowly and so can't really put pressure on the enemy but they offer an excellent shield from my Necromancer. Meanwhile my Werewolves advanced to engage the enemy near the centre.

Necromancers casts his spells behind his "straw shield"

The skeleton Archers start to do some damage to the Beastmen
 This shot is of a nearby game, really liked those big trolls.  Think it was goblins/ Orcs versus Vikings?

Another game
 Once the Beastmen managed to close with my Archers they started to take casualties. .

Archers in trouble?
 In the centre my catapult manages to cause serious damage to the chaos mounted Hearthguard which my Werewolves finish off.

Battle in the Centre

 On the left flank the Archers have manage to repulse the Beastmen who can each take 4 fatigues (hits) before they are removed.  The Archers are down to 3 figures and now an ineffective unit.  Nonetheless I don't want to lose the unit as it will cost me victory points.  Luckily my Necromancer was able to replenish their ranks



The surviving archers are supported by the spear men.





On turn for the Beastmen were finished off and I sent in my flying Bats (flying creatures) who killed another enemy unit in the Centre and the forces of Chaos conceded defeat.  It was a close game and a lot of fun.  I look forward to the next battle.

Jumping Jack does his victory dance



No comments: