Saturday 22 February 2020

SAGA Crusades Game

This was my first SAGA Age of Crusaded game, it was held on February 2, 2020 at my local games club  the Ottawa Miniatures Gamers OMG).  As I am new to this time period I had to improvise to create an appropriate army so I used my 28mm Bretonian WFB collection of figures for the most part.  Hopefully I will have a purpose build / painted army next time.

My 6 point army was a Crusader Army from Western Europe. It consisted of:

1 warlord mounted,  
1 x 8 foot Hearthguards with heavy weapons / halberds, 
1 x 8 Warriors with bows, 
1 x 8 Warriors with spears
1 x 4 Hearthguards with spears & swords, 
2 x 4 Hearthguards with spears and swords 

My opponent had a Saracen army of mostly mounted figures which put me at a disadvantage in terms of mobility.  The victory conditions called for each side to nominate an enemy unit that would be worth double victory point if destroyed.


Initial set up in the Desert


How went the day?  Not very well for me - the dice gods spat on me, and I has some horrendous rolls in the first turn that pretty much dictated my fate.  Both sides chose the others levy archers as the unit that would score them double points.  In hindsight this was a mistake on my part as the Saracen archers were in cover / rough ground and too far back.

The Saracens moved first.



Saracen cavalry attack the Crusaders flanks, the initial
 attack was driven off by the Crusader Hearthguards

It was during turn 1 that some really bad rolls turned the tide against me causing me to lose a couple of key battles I should have won or at least not lost as many troops in.

 The follow on attack by the Saracens
 wipe out the Crusader  Hearthguards
The Crusader Archers are left exposed and soon destroyed. 

Crusader Hearthguard units in the centre advance
The Crusader Hearthguard units in the centre advance in a gamble to kill the enemy archers before their flanks collapse
They achieve some victories but take casualties 
and fatigue but can't destroy the Saracen archers
The mobility of the Saracen's was a huge advantage, especially those units that could throw javelins then charge in.

Crusaders surrounded


Crusader casualties grow.


Only the Crusader Warlord remains.

Victorious Saracen Warlord

Death of the Crusader Warlord

Crusader Warlord is killed.
The Crusaders had managed to kill many of the Saracen archers but two remained so the unit was not destroyed for the purpose of victory conditions even if it was exhausted and could not generate SAGA dice.  But at the point there were very few Crusaders remaining (just a few Hearthguard)

The Battle at its end, only a few Crusader
 Hearthguard remain in the centre.


It was a decisive Saracen victory but an enjoyable game and a good learning experience.  I will be painting some cavalry!






No comments: