Friday 18 September 2020

Bolt Action September 18, 2020

Catching up on posting some games from the past few years.  This was the first Bolt Action game I had played for some time and the first time back at the games Club since the COVID-19 pandemic lock-down began on March 13, 2020.  This game took place on Friday September 18, 2020.




My German Paratroops (1940 Uniform)

My outnumbered elite German paratroopers facing  hoards off lesser quality Soviet troops.  A classic quantity versus  quality game.  

Due to the limited number of 28mm Second World War German infantry I had my force consisted of a small number of infantry made of of two under-strength sections of  German Paratroops and to make up the numbers a section of  SS "She Wolf troops" plus a Tiger I Tank in support.  All the German forces were elite but few in numbers.  The Soviets on the other hand were very numerous but of lesser quality. I will let the pictures tell the story.

 

Setting out objective markers (dimes)


Soviet troops enter the battle


German's occupy key hill


"She Wolf" SS troops occupy an objective on the hill


Soviet troops advancing

Large Soviet force advancing

Hordes of Soviets advancing


My Tiger I tank

Soviet T-34/76 falls victim to the Tiger I

Soviet troops advancing near the woods

Soviet troops including Naval infantry

 

The German's attempts to wittle down the Soviet numbers with long range LMG and rifle fire did not sufficiently weaken the Soviet attack.  A key objective was near the woods and the German's decided to attempt to repulse the Soviets and take it as this would determine the outcome of the battle.

SS She Wolves counter attack the Soviets.

SS troops charge the Soviet Naval troops in the woods

German SS attack is repulsed with heavy casualties

 

The Soviet hordes overwhelmed the outnumbered Germans.  

 

Soviet victory

I need to get more German paratroops painted for the next game as it is risky putting so many points (roughly 50%) into a heavy tank!

Future painting plans

My future plan for Bolt Action is to have a full platoon of late war (1944-45) German paratroops and and early war platoon (1940-41). I could likely combine them to make a mid war platoon (1942-43).  Some preview picture below of what I have in mind and have started painting (or finished).







 I also have a Dad's Army platoon ready to be expanded to take on the early war Fallschirmjaegrs / Paratroops.
 

Dad's Army before repainting

 

Other games at the Club that evening

Here are some pictures of another 28mm Bolt Action game (German versus British)  taking place during the same evening at the club.















2 comments:

江北武士浪人 said...

Some artillery (mortars?) might have helped, I think

Lord of the Western Keep said...

Thanks, I agree, but unfortunately at the time of this game in September 2020 I had no mortars painted for my German forces. Now I do have a German medium mortar painted (and a lot more troops) but did not get a chance to use them in the latest game last Friday. More on that when I get a chance to post my next Bolt Action game AAR