Thursday 10 January 2019

Planned 6mm D-Day game 6mm

For many years I have been planning to run a 6mm, 1/285 scale D-Day game featuring the Juno Beach landing.  Perhaps it was the D-Day diorama at the old Canadian War Museum (CWM) on Sussex Drive in Ottawa that first inspired me to do this as well as some Spearhead players in the UK and the U.S.   I have accumulated all the materials I require and just need to paint some additional resin defensive fortification by Leva Production and D-Day specific miniatures like DD tanks. 

D-Day beach, work in progress
Hopefully this will be the year I get it done, as 2019 is the 75th anniversary.   I have played D-day games in 15mm but I think 6mm gives me the ability to represent much more of the battle.


Maps of the  beach area I will be representing in my game:

 Historic Map of the landing area







Ring up the Curtain D-Day Juno Beach Map by Michael Smith.





Inspiration from the Canadian War Museum

CWM D-Day diorama
CWM D-Day diorama
Ruined building on Juno Beach, CWM

Pamphlet on the CWM Diorama from the 1960s
Pamphlet on the CWM Diorama from the 1960s

Pamphlet on the CWM Diorama from the 1960s
Below is some of the inspiration for my game, including the picture directly below of a group in the UK that put on a D-Day game using Spearhead rules in 6mm.

D-Day game in 6mm in UK with overlays

6mm D-Day game run by a club in the UK in 2005, on my list! 


Map of Juno and Sword beach areas from the SH game in the UK

 

Here are some of the items that still need painting by Leva Productions and GHQ a lot of the latter need to be painted so the pictures of the Funnies are from the GHQ website:

5cm KwK AT bunker by Leva

R-611 bunker by Leva
Various Leva Productions resin defensive positions
GHQ AVRE from GHQ website

GHQ Churchill Crocodile from GHQ website

GHQ Sherman DD tank from GHQ website


GHQ Sherman Crab from GHQ website

Here is some of the work I have completed.

Landing Craft, DUKWs, DDs.

Beach mat, Landing craft and fortification



Beach mat, Landing craft and fortification


Beach mat, Landing craft and fortification

 

Dug out some of my old Micro Armor (1/285 and 1/300) from the mid 1980s some of the Heroics and Ros (H and R)  Funnies and Navwar Lloyd carrier were too dark as they had been painted in Humbrol Dark Bronze green (much like the bulk of the armour collection in the Canadian War Museum at the time) and then washed with a mud wash.   I gave them a heavy dry brush last night (15/6/2019) with GHQ Khaki Drab which lightened them up and brought out the detail. Some of the other Funnies and half-track were made by GHQ or CinC.

Selection of my Funnies, some by H&R, others by GHQ
 and a Navwar Lloyd carrier

H and R: Sherman Crabs, dry-brushed to lighten them.

AVRE, Crocodile, AVRE fascine, M-5 half-track, Lloyd carrier,
all but latter GHQ I think

AVRE fascine M-5 half-track (GHQ ?), Lloyd (Scotia?)
and based Churchill Crocodile (H and R)


GHQ M-5,  CinC M-10 and GHQ M-10 Achilles 


No comments: