Tuesday 8 January 2019

The History of the Doctor Who Games I Have Run.

This  is a list  with pictures of most of the 28mm Doctor Who Games I have run using Doctor Who the Miniatures Game (DWMG) by Graeme Dawson, the first edition of which was published in 2006 and the second edition came out in late 2008. But first some background.

The first Doctor game I ever ran was in December of 2006 and with a different set of rules.  This  was the result of my old high school friend Lee visiting from Ireland in July of 2007 and kindly bringing me a copy of a set of rules entitled "Doctor Who Skirmish Wargames" he picked up in a shop in Ireland. He had no idea of the seed he had just planted!  The rule book had no author, date or publisher listed, a bit of a mystery.

My first set of  Doctor Who rules

These rules weren't very good and only really covered the 1970s but they inspired me to try a Doctor Who based miniature game as Doctor Who was one of my favourite TV Science Fiction shows that I had first started watching on TV Ontario (Public Television) in the 1970s beginning with the Third Doctor - Jon Pertwee.



I soon found two better sets of rules by searching the internet: one by Harlequin miniatures called Doctor Who Invasion Earth:


Harlequin Doctor Who Rules OOP

The second set of rules was called Doctor Who the Miniatures Game (DWMG) and had just recently been published online for free in 2006.   I decided I preferred DWMG as the rules were straightforward, fun, well supported and had more character / monster profiles and  scenarios than any of the other rule sets I had seen.  I have been using them ever since. 

Cover of  DWMG II by Graeme Dawson
They are now OOP but if you look hard enough you can still find them on the internet or at the Facebook fan group page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161001184029/http://drwhominiatures.co.uk/

For many years before this I had admired pictures of Doctor Who miniatures by Harlequin and Citadel / FASA in British Wargame magazines and now that I had rule set to use them with I searched the internet for a source to order them from and soon found some including Black Tree (Harlequin), eBay, Crooked Dice, Doctor Who America (FASA) Hasselfree, Heresy and Micro Universe. Plus Dinky Toys and Corgi made vehicles that worked well for UNIT.

Some of the early Black Tree and Dinky Toy miniatures
I started collecting inspired by the rules

Below is the list of the Doctor Who DWMG games I have run.  If the game was run at a club or a convention I it is noted in the photo caption.

The first DWMG  game that I ran in my basement in December 2006 cobbling the small (but growing) collection of painted and partly painted Doctor Who figures from Harlequin / Black Tree and Citadel supported by some Foundry First World War figures  and a Dollar store flying saucer that I repainted plus some HO scale buildings.

 1. December 2006: "Cyber Christmas 1914", my first DWMG Game
2. April 2007: Find the Swarm Leader
3. Club game November 2007: Find the Swarm Leader II:

Following the 2006 Cyber Christmas game above I ran two more games (Find the Swarm leader, see above) to test out the rules before I  ran my first Doctor Who DWMG convention game at Cangames 2008: "Resurrection of the Daleks" (see below).  I have run one or two 28mm DWMG games at Cangames every year other than 2018 when I had to miss the convention.

4. Cangames 2008: "Resurrection of  Evil / the Daleks"
5.  Resurrection of the Daleks July 2008 with Lee,
updated wrecked ship and new gold Daleks.
6. Cangames 2009: The Five Doctors



7. Cangames 2010 Escape from the Island of the Sea Devils


8. Cangames 2011: Family of Blood

9. Club game February 2011:  Battle of Walmington on Sea
Dad's Army & Commandos versus Sea Devils and Germans
10. Cangames 2012: Time Warrior of Queenston Heights

11. Cangames 2013: Snow Cap Base

12. Cangames 2013: Battlefield
13. Cangames 2014: Rumble in the Jungle
14. Cangames 2015: Fifth Element


15. Cangames 2016: Day of the Daleks

16. Cangames 2017: The Green Death

17. Christmas 2017: Snow Cap Base variant game (2018)

18. Test game: May 2018: "Terror at Devils Bay" for Cangames 2018


Unfortunately due to circumstanced beyond my control I was not able to run the planned Terror at Devils Bay game at Cangames 2018, but I plan to run it at Cangames in late May 2019.

19. The Heroes in  "Attack on Santa's Workshop" Christmas 2018

19. Attack on "Santa's Workshop" Christmas 2018


Warlord Games released its own set of rules for Doctor Who in 2017 called Exterminate with a line of miniature that are much larger (38mm ~) than the 28mm to 32mm figures I use. I may give these rules a try although I am perfectly happy with DWMG even if it is now OOP as a result of Warlord obtaining the game license for Doctor Who from the BBC.
Warlord Games rules 2017, they attempted to Exterminate DWMG!

No comments: