Wednesday 30 December 2020

Contrast Paints on Skeletons

This is my first attempt at using the GW Contrast Paints. I tried them on a Reaper metal skeleton with two crossbows. I spray primed it months ago with Army painter Bone primer then tonight I painted with Contrast Skeleton Horde. After that dried (very fast) I block painted the crossbows Reaper Master Series Acrylic Drift Wood (light brown) and Army Painter Gun Metal as appropriate plus GW Bubonic brown (Ocher) for the shaft and a dot of red for the feathers. Next the gun metal was over-painted with Contrast Basilicanum Grey, and the wood with Contrast Snake Bite Leather. I was surprised at how much darker the Snake Bite Leather made the wood, plus a bit blotchy, probably as there was no grain detail. It is probably a good thing the wood is dark as it provides contrast with the bone. The only highlights done so far are on the arrow shafts. 

Left traditional paint job, right Contrast paints

 

The Contrast painted skeleton is a bit dark / dirty for my liking so I will likely highlight (lightly dry brush it) with some Army Painter Bone and pick out the teeth with white. Of course the base needs to finished (flocked after resin is applied to level it) and a spray coat or two of flat varnish to protect it and get rid of the shine. The skeleton with the scythe is for comparison purposes, it is an old Citadel plastic skeleton I painted many years ago in the traditional way using Citadel paints and washes. Overall I like the results using the GW Contrast Paints but suspect I could have achieved similar results using Vallejo or Army Painter washes.  


Rear view: Left traditional method, right Contrast paint.

 It was a little faster using the Contrast paints as they seem to dry quicker than Vallejo or Army painter washes.  This is a mixed blessing, it saves you time as there is less time spent waiting for it to dry BUT the contrast paints can pool and you need to act quickly to blot up  the extra contrast paint before it dries. You have a bit more working time with traditional washes.

No comments: